Hines partnered with Prime Asset Management to develop 717 Texas, a 33-story Class A office tower in Houston's downtown theater district. Designed by Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, the granite-clad building features some of the most energy efficient and environmentally friendly office space in Houston.
When 717 Texas achieved certification at the Platinum level under the U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) LEED rating system for Existing Buildings (EB), it was the first skyscraper in the state of Texas to achieve the USGBC's highest green building designation.
Some of the green technology incorporated into the building include:
- electronic filtration of outside air
- floor-by-floor air quality monitoring and control
- treatment of all on-floor tenant supply air with ultraviolet light
- use of recycled materials in finishes
- carbon-filtered, ultraviolet light-treated, chilled drinking water delivered to every floor
- nine-and-a-half-foot ceilings with floor-to-ceiling windows
The building was completed in 2003.
717 Texas Avenue
The block bounded by Louisiana Street, Prairie Avenue, Milam Street and Texas Avenue
Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
Net Rentable Area
696,421 sq. ft.
(64,698 sq. m.)
Typical Floor Size
26,000 sq. ft.
(2,415 sq. m.)
U.S. Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency 2005
ENERGY STAR 2005, 2007-2014
LEED Platinum 2011
Colvill Office Properties