Union Pacific Harriman Dispatch Center
Originally a freight depot for the Union Pacific Railway, The Harriman Dispatch Center was constructed in 1891 and sold at auction in 1897. A group of investors led by financier Edward H. Harriman, paid a record $58 million for the railroad.
Nearly 90 years later, renovation work began to convert the building into the Union Pacific Harriman Dispatch Center, which now houses 750-800 Union Pacific employees including: administrative and executive offices; dispatchers and railroad support; computer operations and the building's central plant; and a bunker with walls and ceiling made from 18-24-inch steel reinforced concrete.
The Harriman Dispatch Center has been compared to an airport control tower for the railroad using microwaves, fiber optics and leased telephone circuits to communicate information. Today, the Union Pacific Railroad has about 36,000 miles of rail track, making it the largest railroad in the world. The facility has received several architectural and software awards.
850 Jones Street
Net Rentable Area
125,768 sq. ft.
(11,684 sq. m.)
Union Pacific Railroad
Award of Excellence 1991
International Illumination Design 1990
Lumen Award 1990
Nebraska Society of Architects 1990